Happy New Year to all of our valued customers!
Are you starting off 2023 with any resolutions for your diet? If so, you aren’t alone – year after year the most popular New Year’s resolution is to eat healthier. In today’s blog, we have a few ideas for recipe inspiration as well as products you can find at Shamrock Foodservice Warehouse that support a gluten-free diet!
One way to change up eating gluten-free is to expand your grains. The most common starch choices include rice, potatoes and corn but it can become boring to eat the same foods over and over again in order to avoid eating gluten-based starches. In the new year look to super-grains to add variety to your diet. A great option that you can find in-store is quinoa. Be sure to check out the recipe below to give this grain a try!
Another easy way to liven up a gluten free diet is to add more greens. Dark leafy greens are one of the healthiest food choices you can make as they are loaded with fiber, folic acid and antioxidants among other key nutrients. We have a great selection of fresh produce from Markon available in-store, including Swiss chard, spinach, Brussels sprouts and kale. For a quick and tasty salad grab some kale and top it with flaxseed oil, lemon juice, pine nuts and parmesan cheese. If you don’t like kale raw, sauté it instead with a small amount of olive oil, chopped onion and chicken broth.
Whether you are interested in being gluten-free because of disease or simply because it works well with your lifestyle, stop by the store today for all of your gluten-free recipe needs.
Simply Lemon Quinoa Salad
Courtesy of The Herbeevore
For the salad:
- 4 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cucumber diced
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh parsley
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 lemons juiced (about 1/3 cup lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard or whole grain
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground Tellicherry Black Pepper
- 2 cloves garlic pressed or finely minced
- In a large bowl, combine cooked quinoa, chopped cucumber, chickpeas, tomatoes, and parsley. Toss well to combine.
- In a mason jar, add all the dressing ingredients: olive oil, fresh lemon juice, mustard, garlic salt, and garlic. Seal with an air right lid and shake well to combine.
- Pour dressing over the salad, and toss well. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed, adding more salt and pepper if desired.